This brings us to the free privacy policies that are given away on the Internet ……
As of this post, we have not seen any of the free privacy policies offered on the Internet that comply with the current privacy laws. And worse, some of the wording in these privacy policies are potential legal landmines.
1. Not one of the free privacy policies offered complied with Internet privacy laws.
3. A well-drafted provision describing the treatment of customer’s credit card information was nonexistent with almost all of the policies we looked at.
4. Most had no provision for (children.)
5. Most lacked a detailed provision explaining what type of information they collected and how it is used.
6. None of the free privacy policies had provisions for the Google Analytics, AdSense or remarketing.
7. None of the free privacy policies had language to comply with the new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
FTC says to honor your privacy promises.
Here are just a couple of provisions in the free privacy policies that could be the grounds for FTC legal action or possible lawsuits from users or customers if their website was hacked or other situations occurred where personal information was accidentally divulged to other parties or made public:
1. We shall strive and shall take every precaution to preserve adequate physical, procedural and technical security with respect to its offices and information storage facilities so as to prevent any loss, misuse, unauthorized access, the disclosure of the user’ personal information.
2. We adopt correct data collection, storage and processing practices and security measures to protect against unauthorized access, change, disclosure or destruction of your personal information, username, password, transaction information and data stored on our Site.
Under the law, you have to take reasonable steps to keep personal information secure. At the minimum, you have to comply with the privacy assurances you make to your visitors or customers. However, making statements or implying that a visitor or customer’s personal information will always be secure will increase your legal liability.
We have built our website using industry-standard security measures and authentication tools to protect the security of your personal data (PD). We and the third parties who provide services for us, also maintain technical and physical safeguards to protect your PD. When we collect your credit card information through our website, we will encrypt it before it travels over the Internet using industry-standard technology for conducting secure online transactions. Unfortunately, we cannot guarantee against the loss or misuse of your PD or secure data transmission over the Internet because of its nature.